Be Positively Powerful Books
Be Positively Powerful: A Guide for Teens on Achieving Resilience and Empowerment is a new book by Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
Be Positively Powerful: A Guide for Teens on Achieving Resilience and Empowerment is available on Amazon.
Sea Positivamente Poderos: Ser resiliente cuando las cosas se ponen difíciles is the Spanish version of the book for younger children by Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D..
Sea Positivamente Poderos: Ser resiliente cuando las cosas se ponen difíciles is available on Amazon.
Engage Students to Embrace Civility provides schools with insight into the creation of a positive school culture and the reduction of bullying and discriminatory harassment.
Engage Students to Embrace Civility is available on Amazon.
Links to informational resources from Be Positively Powerful: A Guide for Teens on Achieving Resilience and Empowerment and Be Positively Powerful: Resilient When Things Get Tough.
Information for Professionals
Educators, mental health professionals, and others who work with teens can find additional informational resources on this page.
Summer Professional Development
In summer 2021, Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D. will be offering professional development Zoominars on a frequent basis. These Zoominars will last from 60 minutes to 90 minutes, with time for discussion. These Zoominars will focus on two overall topics:
- Essential insight into bullying behavior.
- What is not currently working in bullying prevention efforts and why.
- Strategies to engage students to foster and support positive relationships.
- Responding to discriminatory harassment in accord with federal civil rights laws.
- How principals and school mental health professionals can effectively investigate and intervene in the more serious hurtful situations.
- Free speech versus hate speech.
- Responding to hurtful online speech (cyber bullying).
- An overview of trauma, including adverse childhood experiences, intergenerational trauma, and toxic stress (pandemic).
- Educator trauma, including direct trauma, toxic stress (pandemic), and secondary traumatic stress.
- Be Positively Powerful strategies that have a rationale ground in trauma and positive psychology research to support students (and staff) post pandemic lockdown.
- Trauma informed practices for schools 101. Given all of the challenges educators are going to be facing next school year, my emphasis is will be on practical strategies that will not require extensive staff training or extensive processes to put into place.
Oregon Safe Return to School
I have been participating in efforts to ensure the safe return to school in Oregon. Documents I have created can be found here.
DigiDesiderata: Desire for Civility in the Digital Age
This is my new video on DigiDesiderate: Desire for Civility in the Digital Age.
The book is available here.
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D. is the director of Embrace Civility.
Nancy has a background in working with students with special needs, law, educational technology, digital safety, bullying and harassment prevention, trauma informed practices, and restorative practices.
Nancy is available for workshops and keynote presentations at conferences, as well as webinars and trainings for schools. The primary focus of her professional development offerings at this point in time is on equity-based, trauma informed and restorative practices.
Nancy can provide presentations for parents and teens in Oregon.
Media and Outreach
I am seeking greater media coverage of my work, as well as other outreach activities. This is because of the importance of the issues I seek to address, especially during the age of the Covid-19 pandemic, the interruption in student learning, and the issues raised for schools and society by the Black Likes Matter movement — long unaddressed systemic racism and inequities.
This section will provide insight for the media and my recently published writings or appearances.
Education Week Article for Teachers
US News and World Report.
This commentary was submitted to The Oregonian on December 21, 2020
Here is a link to the recorded sessions on the NCMEC CONNECT training platform. I did a session on cyberbullying on December 1, 2020.
https://connect.missingkids.org/products/parent-connect-child-safety-virtual-discussion-series. (Please note, to view a NCMEC CONNECT account will have to be created, then click the registration button. This also gives access to the other trainings and recorded discussions on the site.)
The SJ Childs Show Bullying Prevention with Nancy Willard